We all know how much the Internet has affected our industry. SPJ wants to hear from you about it.
As many of you know, the Federal Trade Commission will hold hearings Dec. 1-2 in DC on the Internet’s effect on news organizations’ business models. SPJ National President Kevin Smith will testify at those hearings.
The SPJ national committee on digital media needs to hear from journalists about what you think and what the FTC needs to know. I'm a committee member, and I'm asking all of you to please write up as little or as much as you want to share and e-mail it to us at email@example.com by Nov. 2. We will share your comments with the FTC and with Kevin.
The FTC is seeking thoughts on:
- the economics of journalism on the Internet and in traditional media
- how news outlets’ business models might evolve in response to the Internet
- innovative forms of journalism that have emerged on the Internet
- how competition may evolve in markets for journalism and advertising
- potential changes in governmental laws and policies to support journalism.
Jennifer P in Houston